Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Warning about Boardwalk Inn Concierge

Icon13 Warning about Boardwalk Inn Concierge

Hopefully I will get off my bum and give you guys a trip report soon, but until then, I wanted to tell you guys about our bad experience. This is going to be really long, so forgive any type-os.

From May 8 to May 15, 2004, we had our honeymoon at WDW and stayed at the Boardwalk Inn Concierge. The hotel is very nice, the front desk staff was great, however the Concierge staff and service was horrid (if this wasn't a kid friendly site, I would have several other words for it).

First of all, I called the concierge desk several times in advance to try to impress upon them how badly my fiance wanted us to have a king bed, and I wanted a boardwalk view. We currently have a queen bed and having a king bed makes a trip more of a getaway comfort. I was told by a lady who was very nice on the phone to call them back about a week before we were to arrive, because the concierge staff makes the room assignments and they don't get the guest info until about a week before the guests arrive.
    So, I called about six days before we were to arrive and was given the "can't guarrantee any room requests", honeymoon or not.

On May 8, we arrived early, about 12:45 in the afternoon, expecting to get checked into the concierge level quickly and be able to make our 2:00 late lunch PS at the Rainforst Cafe in the Animal Kingdom. Our Tiffany Towncar driver Waseem (great guy) unloaded our luggage and we told the bellman that we were concierge guests and asked about the special concierge check in. He said we had to go to the front desk and check in like everybody else, but he takes our luggage and stores it until we can get checked into our room since we were early for check in.

We walk into the lobby and get in line for the front desk. After about 10 minutes in line we were next in line and were waved over to an unused section of the front desk by a resort CM named Linda (who turned out to be the star service person for us, basically our service salvation and saved the Boardwalk Inn from being a totally terrible experience). Linda started working on getting us checked in. She said that our room was ready and in about 15 or so minutes she had us checked in. She gave us our $100 disney dollars that came with the package, and a voucher to get our pins and lanyards from a store on the Boardwalk. With all that taken care of she gave us our nifty gold room keys, or "Keys to the World." She gives us a document detailing the concierge service, tells us how to find our room, and said we had to stop by the concierge desk to check in with them. We then give the person at the bellstand our luggage card and he said our luggage would be up shortly. Then we take off to find our room.

When I made our reservations, I told the disney travel CM we would be on our honeymoon, and she took my number and said she would call me back. When she called me back, she said she had spoken to several people at Disney guest services and had a very nice plan set up for us. She went on about where we would stay and they she had set up for us to receive a Honeymooner basket, and that we would receive the special honeymoon lanyards (which I had been really wanting) and the special Boardwalk honeymoon pins as part of the basket. I thought this was awsome because my fiance absolutely loves flowers and I thought it would be a great suprize for her.

We go to the fourth floor and walk a good ways and find the entrance to the
    "Innkeeper's Club," or concierge area. The door is wide open, there is nobody at the desk in the hall. There is a note on the desk which said that anybody who needed help should see the guest services desk in the lobby. I thought that was odd since we were supposed to check in with the concierge. We find our room, which was right by the concierge lounge (cool). We walk into the concierge lounge and there are a few guests sitting around but still no concierge staff. The snack foods are laid out and anybody in the hotel could walk in and ding in if they wanted. During our whole stay, they never checked our room keys to verify we were concierge guests when we ate the snacks or took sodas to our room. We go back to our room and walk in. I am expecting my new wife to be thrilled with the flowers and honeymoon basket, and hopefully a king bed and maybe a Boardwalk view. We walk in and see two queen beds, a balcony view of half of a roof, and half of a garden, no honeymoon basket, no flowers. I admit that I was dissappointed and that started my irritation.

The bellman shows up with our luggage and as he is unloading it, one of the concierge staff walks by our room with some white balloons. She passes the room then turns around and asks over the bellman's shoulder "Are you Mr. Reed?". I replied that I was and she handed me a card with three white balloons attached over the bellman's shoulder. I then start to feel better. I look it it and it is a 5x7 picture of Alladin and Jasmine in a greeting card type of frame. On the front cover of the card it said something like "To the Reed, Congratulations and have a magical time at Walt Disney World." The card was signed by Alladdin and Jasmine. I thought that was pretty cool, but who is "The Reed"? Was it me or my new wife? haha I assumed this was to be the only "honeymoon basket" were were to receive, and sighed.

We got our gear stowed and I noticed that during checkin, nothing was said about the Silver package we had purchased and added on to our dreammaker package. We head out intending to go to the Animal Kingdom to make our 2:00 PS and I stopped by the front desk and asked Linda about our Siver plan. She said that it was not on our reservation and started doing some checking. She called a manager over and there wound up being about three people working to get our problem fixed. After about 15 minutes my new wife was looking very aggrivated (we were both very hungry, only haveing a small nutrition bar early before our flight, not to mention the wait in line for checkin) and after about 30 minutes, they had the problem fixed. Well it was about 1:55. We were not going to be able to make oru 2:00 PS. We decide to go to the Concierge lounge, eat some of the snacks available, and have the concierge take care of our PS problem. We go into the lounge and eat some spicy bread with a sour cream and chive type dip, have a few goldfish, and a couple of diet cokes. Amazingly a concierge cm walked into the room. I tell her how we missed our 2:00 PS and ask if she can make us a new one. She said sure and got on the phone. After about 15 minutes she said she could not get a set PS time but they they said anytime after 3:00 would be good. So we basically had to walk in and hope they could get us a table, so much for her help. Later in the week I made my own PS for the Rainforest Cafe, about 4 hours before we arrive and it only took about 4 minutes and we had a set time. This started the downspin of the service and our feelings/opinion of the Concierge staff at the Boardwalk Inn.

Every other service request we had for the Concierge turned up with no service at all.

I asked for them to cancel my tickets for Mickey's Backyard BBQ, but they said that you had to cancel within 48 hours, and it was only 24 hours at the time of my request. You would think that with the amount of money you pay for concierge service they could take care of it. After all, a concierge is supposed to be able to "get things done, and get hard to get things for you."

I asked for them to get me some Cirque de Soleil - La Nouba tickets for me, well they said their computer was getting serviced and I would have to go down to the first floor lobby to guest services or the front desk to get them. Once again, you would think that for the money we spent on concierge rooms, they could walk and get the tickets for us.

Then, to top it off, and what really lit my fuse, I looked into what happened to the honeymoon basket. On Wednesday, out of curiosity, I spoke to a concierge cm named Marta. I told Marta that we were supposed to have gotten a honeymoon basket in our room when we checked in, but we had been there 4 days and it had not showed up. She told me to wait a minute and walked into a door that said "Cast Members Only." I heard her through the door speaking to another lady, whose name I forgot to note. I heard Marta tell the lady that there was a guest asking about a honeymoon basket that they did not receive. The lady asked Marta if it was on our papers. Marta said something I could not hear, and the lady replied "Is he still out there? I will go talk to him," with an attitude in her voice like she was going to tell me off. The lady walked out of the CM Only room and asked what I needed. I explained the situation about the honeymoon basket, and she asked me if it was on the paperwork we received in the mail. I told her that it was not, and she replied "If it isn't on your paperwork, you don't get it." I replied that guest services had set it up and that I knew it was supposed to be there and she again said "If it isn't on your paperwork, you don't get it." I knew we sere supposed to get it because I had spoke to a seperate disney travel CM about our reservation and he congratulated me on the wedding. I asked him how he knew and he said that he saw in the reservation notes "Honeymoon Couple" and "Honeymoon basket per guest services." I told him that wasn't on my documentation and he said that it wasn't because the reservation notes are not made available to the guests. They put items in the reservation notes that they don't want the guests to know about. In our case, to suprise my new wife with a honeymoon basket. So I thanked her for her rudeness and absolute lack of help and walked back down to the first floor and spoke with wonderful Linda at the front desk again. I told her about how we were supposed to get the basket and asked if the picture of Alladin and Jasmine were supposed to be the basked and she said "No way!". She said that she had sent the photo card and balloons up herself (man she was great). She pulled up my reservation and said that she saw in the notes about the honeymoon couple and honeymoon basket and immediatly got on the phone. It took her an hour of calling guest services, the florist, and central reservations, but she got it fixed. She apologized over and over again. She showed me a photo of the gift basket and it had the cool Boardwalk Honeymooner collector pins with it. When I told her that the concierge staff would not even look into the matter for me, and how I had not received any other service from them, she advised me to write a letter to complain, and even gave me the address. Late that evening, when we got back from a late extra evening magic hours at the parks, the basket was waiting for us. It had a chilled bottle of some kind of Fairy Tale champaign, a little treasure chest of massage type products(bath salts, oil, a massage pad thingie, scented candle), a card greatly apologizing for the wait and inconvience, and a neat box, shapped like a hidden mickey, made of white chocolate, with Boardwalk Inn written on the lid. Inside the chocolate box were white and milk chocolates shaped like hidden mickeys. Not exactly what I expected, but pretty cool. ( I really wanted those cool pins ) The next day, when the concierge was again no help and I went back to the front desk to get my La Nouba tickets. Linda asked if we had gotten a suprise in our room. I replied that we did and thanked her strongly. She asked about the flowers and I said that we didn't get any flowers. I told her what we did get and she said "ah, ok" like the massage chest took the place of the flowers, which was cool. I told her we didn't get the pins and she got up set. She got on the phones and called the florist, who said that they were out of the pins, so we got the chocolates . Oh well, at least we got something, and the mickey shaped box made of chocolate was pretty neat.

Another thing was that we were charged for guest parking on our "Express checkout" receipt when we didn't even have a car there. So I had to again go stand in line to get that taken care of, since there were no CMs in the concierge area and their computer system was probably still down. (I kind of doubt it was ever down and that they were all a bunch of lazy **&^#@!)Luckilly Linda saw me waiting in line and called me over to an empty spot on the front desk.

We didn't get any of that special "magic" that everybody talks about getting at Disney resorts. We didn't get any towel animals, even though I tipped from three to five dollars a day for the maids. Only got turn down service twice in seven nights, when concierge guests are supposed to get it daily without requesting it. The only thing that made our rooms any differant than any other hotel were the mickey mouse toiletries (didn't care much for the shampoo, weak lather).

The food served in the AM was about even with what you would get at a Holiday Inn or Best Western. The snacks through the day were neat, little snacks made of bread topped with different things, and the sodas supplied. Still did not make it worth the the money. With the amount a concierge room costs over a standard room, I could have easily eaten at a nice character breakfast each morning.

When Waseem, our Tiffany Towncar driver, picked us up, we gripped to him about the horrid concierge service and he said that we were about the fourth customers he had that week to complain about concierge service. He said that he had two older ladies the previous day complaining about the concierge service at the Animal Kingdom Lodge. He said the ladies were multiple repeat customers of his and they always stayed in a concierge level room. He said that they were complaining to him about how bad the concierge service was at the AKL. He said they told him that when he dropped them off at the AKL, they felt like they were completely alone and that not a sole in the concierge staff cared if they were there or not. He said they were so angry that when he picked them up to go to the airport, the bellman asked them something and they told him to be quiet, because they didn't want to speak with anybody from that resort ever again.

Basically, the Boardwalk Inn is a nice hotel, with semi hard beds, a great location, wonderful front desk staff (thanks Linda ) and a terrible, horrid concierge service .

What angers me the most, is that there is no way we could have afforded to pay for a concierge stay on our own. We used money that was given to us by our families specifically for the wedding/honeymoon. I am angry that we wasted their money on a hotel stay that was no better than a stay at an average Holiday Inn. We could have taken a second small vacation almost for the extra money we spent on concierge, which was wasted since we got nothing for it except a few diet cokes and nibbles of a snack. The only reason we went concierge in the first place was to really "live it up" on our honeymoon.

I have attended conferences for work in New Orleans, and we were put up in the Ritz-Carlton. Now that is luxury and service. You ask them for something and they break their necks to do it, even if you are in the most inexpensive room. One day I included with my tip for housekeeping a note thanking them for the chocolates they left on the pillows with the turndown service they provide for all guests, and saying how much I liked them. When I got in that evening, there were twenty chocolates on my bed.
    That is service, and it cost much less than the Boardwalk Inn Concierge.

I know some people may flame me for ranting about their favorite resort, but they earned it, and I will never stay in a concierge service room at Disney again.
    Last edited by Bigjon010; 05-24-2004 at 01:47 PM.
    Nov 2010 Port Orleans Riverside: loved it

Nov 2009 Pop Century (liked better than ASM)
    MVMCP- was ok, but MNSSHP is much better!

September 2008 All Star Music (did not like very much) MNSSHP! fantastic!

May 2004 Disney Honeymooner
    Boardwalk Inn Concierge. Nice hotel, hard beds, great front desk service, terrible concierge service.

MK for one day during Christmas 1996, awesome decorations.

Family Blog http://www.aboutpearl.blogspot.com

Re: Warning about Boardwalk Inn Concierge

I am really sorry to hear of your bad experience. I know that you put a lot of effort into making this honeymoon special for you and your wife. You must have changed your reservations five times along the way! I think you should just print out what you just typed here and send it to the address that Linda provided. Thank goodness you had her! It really stinks that you paid the extra money for something and did not get it. I hope that they can somehow give you something to remedy the situation. Good luck!

I am so sorry to hear of your bad experience with the concierge service...especially on an occasion that is suppose to be magical in it's own rights. Definately type a similar letter to your post and send it off to Disney Customer Realtions. I would have be fuming in your situation and who wnats to be angry on their honeymoom. Thank God Linda was there. she sounds like she is a top-notch CM. I love how you complimented her in spite of your less than magical experince. Do not take this situation sitting down and type enough letters to make sure everyone in charge of Disney travel, the boardwalk resort and who ever else you think needs to know, that your honeymoon was NOT magical because of the concierge staff's poor excuse for service. Again, I am so sorry that it didn't go even close to plan for you and your new wife. Congrats on the wedding BTW.
    ~ 82 off-site ~ 91 off-site ~ 97 Music ~ 00 Movies ~
    ~ 02 WL ~ 04 AKL ~ 05 AKL & Poly ~ 06 OKW ~
    ~ 07 POFQ ~ 08 OKW ~ 09 SSR ~ 10 CSR ~
    ~ 10 POFQ ~ 11 POP ~ 12 Dolphin ~ 12 Art Of Animation ~
    13 SSR ~ 13 AKL- Club~ 13 Contemporary ~13 Pop Century
    14 Coronado Springs ~14 Disney Magic and POFQ ~ 14 YC/Movies/CSR

World of COLOR is AMAZING inluvwithdisney's Avatar

I am so sorry for your bad experience!!! I think you should let Disney know about this!!! I had a problem and they really came thru for me!!! LOL!!
    Disneyland~~ August 1991
    Disneyland/Calif. Adv. ~~ DLH ~~June 2001
    Disneyland/Calif. Adv. ~~ DLH ~~ Sept. 2002
    WDW ~~ POR ~~Sept. 2003

WDW ~~ POLY~~ Sept. 2004
    WDW/Disney Cruise ~~ POR/Disney Wonder ~~ December 2005
    WDW/Disney Cruise ~~ POR/Disney Wonder ~~ August 2007
    WDW & US/DC/SW ~~POR ~~August 2008
    WDW/Disney Cruise ~POR/Magic~June 2009
    Disneyland/CA for World of Color~ June 2010
    Disneyland/CA~June2011
    WDW~POR December 2012
    Disneyland ~June 2013 CARSLAND

Neverland Tour Guide tinkerbell's Avatar

I hope you write disney ..in fact you could just write exactly what you have written here and send it !!
    Stinkerbell, so named by Darth
    Official Defender of Swiss Family Treehouse
    MB chitchatter. We don't need no stinkin' post counts

Protect Texas!!! Arm A Dillo

http://facebook.com/tinkwelch

So sorry to read aobut your horrible service, but hopefully the rest of your honeymoon was MAGICAL
    Did you ever know that you are my hero!

"To the Reed, Congratulations and have a magical time at Walt Disney World." The card was signed by Alladdin and Jasmine. I thought that was pretty cool, but who is "The Reed"? Was it me or my new wife? haha I assumed this was to be the only "honeymoon basket" were were to receive, and sighed.
    That made me LOL. I at first thought it was one of the type-o's you referred to in your first paragraph!

I am so sorry to hear about what you had to go through.

You would think with heightened security they would have has somone or something to determine if you were supposed to be at the concierge level. You must write a letter and keep us updated as to what Disney has to say.

Lisa
    I have a little Mickey in me! :)

August 1996 - All Star Music Resort
    October 1999 - Port Orleans French Quarter
    September 2008 - Wilderness Lodge
    May 2010 - Pop Century
    September 2010 - Polynesian

Theres a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of every day.....just a dream away.

Mrs. Captain Jack Sparrow MissDisney's Avatar

To the Reeds... ( I am sure that's what Jasmine and Aladdin meant to write!) What a bummer! I love the Boardwalk, but we've never stayed on the Inn side as we are Villas people, mostly because we need a kitchen (it is tought to always have to go out on the Boardwalk and get food at a sit-down restaurant!)
    But I am so surprised at how disinterested the concierge CMs were! Isn't it a shame when people don't care enought to do their best?
    I hope your next trip is really special! Best wishes on your marriage!
    Disneyland Moderator

Disneyland Hotel 1987; Dixie Landings 1994; Dixie Landings 1997; Caribbean Beach 1998; Boardwalk Villas 1999; Vistana Resort 2001; Dixie Landings 2002; Vistana Resort 2002; Marriott Royal Palm Villas 2004; Vistana Resort 2006; Marriott Cypress Harbour 2007; Boardwalk Villas 2008; AKV Kidani 2009; Saratoga Springs 2009; Dixie Landings 2010; Boardwalk Villas 2010; Saratoga Springs 2012; World Center Marriott 2013; Wilderness Lodge Villas 2013; Saratoga Springs 2015

I'm very sorry to hear of your bad experience - hope the rest of the honeymoon was better!

I'll second what others have said - make sure you detail your bad experiences *in writing* to Disney. That's the only way I've ever had success in getting any issues resolved.

Also, I strongly recommend writing a *second* separate letter, this one with the details of how much Linda bent over backwards to help you. It really makes a difference to Cast Members to have guest compliments on file for offering superior service such as Linda did. It's people like her that have really made the difference for me on my vacations, and I always make sure to let them and Disney know how much I value their service.

Sorry again for the rotten experience - but congrats on your wedding!
    Turnwrench

--"You're mocking me, aren't you?"

I'm so sorry for what happened. So please write and whatever else you can do.
    You said it right in your paragraph, you expect more from concierge, and thats what concierge is supposed to be. THey're supposed to bend over backwards for you!
    Its making me really wonder about staying in a concierge at wdw. Since that adds on another $100+ a night on top of $300+ rooms!
    Regardless of concierge or not, it was you honeymoon and the staff should've been more receptive to you. It makes me feel as if they could smell you were not "money' and treated you as such. Cause I know I've felt that way in some of the resorts and both cm's and guests have tried to point that out to me.... *ahem* AKL *ahem*
    OK Where Havent I stayed?
    Old Key West, Contemporary, Boardwalk, Fort Wilderness, Yacht and Beach, and All Star Sports.
    Just Easier to Remember that way .

Dream It! Do It! Disney!
    WDWCP Campus Rep

WDW College Program!

Proud Testee of the first annual Pirate and Princess Party!!!!

Lets Make this new Celebration a Success!!!

Currently in Timeout! mickaholic4077's Avatar

Do you mean,DST,that people have actually said to you you don't matter because you don't have money???????

I have the address that was given to me for the Boardwalk Inn. Does anybody have the addresses for other places I should send letters to?
    Like Disney Travel Company, and whoever else you can think of that might be good.
    Nov 2010 Port Orleans Riverside: loved it

Nov 2009 Pop Century (liked better than ASM)
    MVMCP- was ok, but MNSSHP is much better!

September 2008 All Star Music (did not like very much) MNSSHP! fantastic!

May 2004 Disney Honeymooner
    Boardwalk Inn Concierge. Nice hotel, hard beds, great front desk service, terrible concierge service.

MK for one day during Christmas 1996, awesome decorations.

Family Blog http://www.aboutpearl.blogspot.com

Moderator/DC's Airmouse disneyguy's Avatar

I am soooooo sorry to hear about that!!! If I had been paying that much I would have expected the same service. I wish I had met a CM like Linda last time I was down there, because we had some pretty bad expiriences at PC. Sounds like your Quicksilver driver should write a letter telling about all his customer's bad expiriences.
    New to DC? Looking for An Abreviations List? Click Here.

Just keep swimming, swimming, swimming...

[Countdown=June 1, 2007 7:32:30 PM EST;Graduated!!;RED]Countdown until the Class of 2007 Graduates![/Countdown]

---------------
    Its been far too long....
    Most recent: POFQ Feb 2005

Quote Originally Posted by mickaholic4077
    Do you mean,DST,that people have actually said to you you don't matter because you don't have money???????
    Alma,
    it was a statement someone made to Ashley and I on our last night at AKL.
    We were riding the bus back and were chatting with a family:mother, daughter, grandmother and grandfather. Obviously we were staying at the Lodge since we were taking the bus back, but the Grandmother said something that rubbed Ashley the wrong way. In the converstaion she suddenly asks,"Are you staying at the lodge?" As I said we were taking the bus and it was after fantasmic, so Boma and Jiko were closed, there would be no other reason for going to AKL. Ashley said her tone sounded more like, how can you be staying AKL, you obviously look like you have no money. Also the cm's @ AKL, when they found out I was a cm myself were more like, oh the only way you can afford this is with your cm discount. They did not come out and say it, but their attitude showed it.
    So yes in WDW in the deluxes if they can smell you don't have money, you will be treated as if you don't have money. THats why they built the all-stars, so people like us (middle income) could have a place to go. Ohh that sounded harsh and I love the deluxes, but after Bigjon's report and some of my dealings I know it's true.
    OK Where Havent I stayed?
    Old Key West, Contemporary, Boardwalk, Fort Wilderness, Yacht and Beach, and All Star Sports.
    Just Easier to Remember that way .

Dream It! Do It! Disney!
    WDWCP Campus Rep

WDW College Program!

Proud Testee of the first annual Pirate and Princess Party!!!!

Lets Make this new Celebration a Success!!!

Neverland Tour Guide tinkerbell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bigjon010
    I have the address that was given to me for the Boardwalk Inn. Does anybody have the addresses for other places I should send letters to?
    Like Disney Travel Company, and whoever else you can think of that might be good.
    Mr. Al Weiss
    President
    The Walt Disney World Resort
    P.O. Box 10040
    Lake Buena Vista, FL 32830

Walt Disney World Guest Relations
    P.O. Box 10000
    Lake Buena Vista, FL 32830

If you really want to go for the gusto:

Mr. Michael Eisner
    Chairman and Chief Executive Officer
    The Walt Disney Company