Thread: DD is going to Tokyo DL!!!!

I need to get a life besides MouseBuzz!! smallworld's Avatar
    2nd Star to the right, and straight on till morning....(but really in Virginia)

DD is going to Tokyo DL!!!!

Well, this is not a very active forum, but I thought I would try anyway..

My DD and her DH are going to Japan next month.....and will be visiting Tokyo DL.

Has anyone been in the past few years? If not...dare I ask--.which websites out there would be the most "reliable" for information and discussions on TDL? I'll probably get her a guidebook as a "gift" from Mom but again..not sure which guidebook is the best.

Any and all suggestions are welcome!

My DSIL is fluent in Japanese and lived near Tokyo for a semester in college 5 years ago so the language barrier is not much of a problem. I have found YouTube videos of TDL and they show English being used a lot at the park anyway....

"Small"
    1983---Off Property
    1987---Hyatt--Disney Village * 1990---Disney Village Townhouses(Villas)
    1991---Guest Quarters--Disney Village * 1992---DL * 1994---PO * *1995---ASM* 1997---CS * 2000---CS
    2003---WDW Dolphin * 2004---Offsite---School Chorus Trip
    2005---Pop * 2007---POFQ!!!!
    2007---Offsite-JW Marriott Grand Lakes * 2009---POFQ
    2012---POFQ * 2014---POFQ * 2015---SSR * 2015---DL/DL Hotel
    (I think I have forgotten some in there somewhere)

Re: DD is going to Tokyo DL!!!!

They are going to have a great time. We just got back and had a blast. It is a good thing she is not counting on them knowing English. We ran into very few who could help us. That being said, it was very "familiar" to us and we did just fine.

There are two parks. Tokyo Disneyland and Tokyo Disney Sea. Tokyo Disneyland was a lot like Disney World, just smaller. It was about 2/3 the size of the Orlando park. It was set up very similar to Disney World with the castle in the center and Jungle Cruise and Pirates to the left and Space Mountain to the right.

Disney Sea on the other hand was nothing like what we expected. It was a little bit "Epcot" and a little bit "Hollywood Studios". It was all new to us and we loved it. The rides a similar, but not the same. The Tower of Terror for instance was themed about a man who brought back a sacred statute that cursed the hotel. Toy Story Mania is a madhouse. 30 minutes after the park opened, the fast passes were done for the day and they had a 240 minute wait for standby.

I am going to try to start a trip report, but if you have any specific questions. Let me know.

Living the dream "Down Under" .

Quote Originally Posted by Cincy View Post
    They are going to have a great time. We just got back and had a blast. It is a good thing she is not counting on them knowing English. We ran into very few who could help us. That being said, it was very "familiar" to us and we did just fine.

There are two parks. Tokyo Disneyland and Tokyo Disney Sea. Tokyo Disneyland was a lot like Disney World, just smaller. It was about 2/3 the size of the Orlando park. It was set up very similar to Disney World with the castle in the center and Jungle Cruise and Pirates to the left and Space Mountain to the right.

Disney Sea on the other hand was nothing like what we expected. It was a little bit "Epcot" and a little bit "Hollywood Studios". It was all new to us and we loved it. The rides a similar, but not the same. The Tower of Terror for instance was themed about a man who brought back a sacred statute that cursed the hotel. Toy Story Mania is a madhouse. 30 minutes after the park opened, the fast passes were done for the day and they had a 240 minute wait for standby.

I am going to try to start a trip report, but if you have any specific questions. Let me know.
    Thanks so much for this info. They just don't have reliable guidebooks out there---probably not enough "call" for one for DLT I guess. I will give her this info.

They are heading to Japan this week... They have planned in two days at DLT...is that enough time? They will not be staying there, but taking the train out each day.

What types of food did they serve there? Actually-- this is more of a curiosity for me!!! Lol.

I will tell her to head for Toy Mania FP first thing in the morning. Any other tips?
    I appreciate your reply. Thanks.
    1983---Off Property
    1991---Guest Quarters--Disney Village * 1992---DL * 1994---PO * *1995---ASM* 1997---CS * 2000---CS

Most of the guests at the park live in Japan. We only saw one or two other families that were from english speaking countries. Hamburgers and chicken nuggets are hard to come by. Our kids are very adventurous so they were fine. Most of the food stands were curry based. We did see turkey legs, but not one person eating them.

The big thing there is flavored popcorn. You buy a bucket for around $18 and you can refill it for $5 at any of the popcorn stands. The flavors were very different. We liked the curry one the best.

The best tip I can give you is to use your fast pass. If not, the stand by lines are 1-2 hours. There are not as many big rides in the parks and with the large crowds, you will have to wait.

Two days is never enough, but then again we feel that way in the US. You have to go into it with the idea you are not going to see everything. Pick your must do things and go with the flow.

Living the dream "Down Under" .

Quote Originally Posted by Cincy View Post
    Most of the guests at the park live in Japan. We only saw one or two other families that were from english speaking countries. Hamburgers and chicken nuggets are hard to come by. Our kids are very adventurous so they were fine. Most of the food stands were curry based. We did see turkey legs, but not one person eating them.

The big thing there is flavored popcorn. You buy a bucket for around $18 and you can refill it for $5 at any of the popcorn stands. The flavors were very different. We liked the curry one the best.

The best tip I can give you is to use your fast pass. If not, the stand by lines are 1-2 hours. There are not as many big rides in the parks and with the large crowds, you will have to wait.

Two days is never enough, but then again we feel that way in the US. You have to go into it with the idea you are not going to see everything. Pick your must do things and go with the flow.
    Thanks so much Cincy! They are in Japan now...probably will hit DL next week. I will pass this along to them for planning purposes! It sounds like FPs are a must. I appreciate the info...not much out there.
    1983---Off Property

My daughter and son in law are on their way to TDl by train today. They will have to fight the rush hour train mob to get there. It's. good thing they purchased tickets ahead of time. One park is already sold out.

I think they are going to Disney Seas today. I can't tell you how excited I am for them!! I can't wait to see her pictures !
    1983---Off Property

I'm so excited for her. I hope she sends you some pictures for you to post. I would love to hear all about it.
    1/3-11/13 Saratoga Springs Sept./Oct. 2012 -Old Key West
    2/12 - Beach Club 9/10 2011 Grand Cali Hotel 11/10 - AKL KV 4/10 - OKW
    1/10 - Saratoga Springs - Tree Houses 3/09 - Saratoga Springs 10/08 - Saratoga Springs
    5/08 - Saratoga Springs 1/08 - Saratoga Springs 6/07 - Y&B Club 3/06 - Carribbean Beach Club
    3/05 - Off Property 12/03 - Off Property 8/96 - Off Property 9/90 - Contemporary Resort

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyOnMyMind View Post
    I'm so excited for her. I hope she sends you some pictures for you to post. I would love to hear all about it.
    ...no word from my daughter after yesterday's visit to the Disney Seas....I am sure they are exhausted...it's very hot and humid there and the parks were due to be packed.

They are 13 hours ahead so sleeping and then will be up and off to the "main" park, which is just called Tokyo Disneyland.... :) I hope that I will hear from her later this evening---her morning... :)
    1983---Off Property