Thread: 3 Days......

Mouseketeer

3 Days......

Three days until we leave the 20 degree temps of Pennsylvania and head south. This is our 18th visit to Disney. Huge Disney fans, but we also spend time with Harry Potter as well. We usually head down in early December for the holiday events and decorations, but the kids' college schedules didn't allow that this year. Any advice on how early January is at the parks ?

Re: 3 Days......

Well it used to be a slow time but I don't think there is a slow time any more. Just crowded and more crowded.
    Here every day even though I may not be logged in.

Mouseketeer

Yes, I could remember the days of 20 minute waits for most of the attractions. Seems to be more international visitors that add to the crowds. At least it's not 90 degrees when we're waiting in lines in January !

There doe s not seem to be an "off season" any more. Many more Europeans are coming over (although that may change sum with the devaluation of their currency) and more people pulling kids out of scholl for a week more and more. That being said, early to mid January is usually a nice time to go. The crowds are a little less and the weather while it can be a bit cool, is very nice.
    OCt 29 - Nov 5/6 Off site
    Dec 3 - 10/11 Off site

Mouseketeer

We experienced temperatures in the low 30's during our first weekend. Seems to follow us ALL THE TIME. Temps evened out for the week starting Monday. We hit all of the Disney parks and we were able to hit just about every attraction we wanted to. Wait times ranged from 15 minutes to 45 minutes. The Fastpasses helped out on the major rides. We were able to hit Space Mountain right before our FastPass kicked in because it was down for repairs. Walked on there and came right back. We had to wait out Rockin' Roller Coaster and that was a good 75 minute wait. We passed the time away in line playing that new phone app guessing game on Disney subjects. We ate at Be Our Guest for breakfast. It's not a very hearty breakfast. Small portions but tasty. I also don't like the fact that you order and then you are on your own finding a seat. You make a reservation to order a breakfast; then you can spend 20 minutes waiting for some party to get up so you can sit. They obviously overbook. Let me make a suggestion, instead of eating breakfast at BOG, stop at Casey's for lunch and get the loaded footlong hot dog for $11. It can feed two people instead of the $20 quiche at BOG which can barely feed a child. Ate at one of our favorites at Hollywood Studios...Sci Fi Dine In theatre. Great service and definitely not drive in food...excellent. Had lunch at the Flame Tree BBQ at Animal Kingdom. Good BBQ and fixins' at a good price.
    Some generalizations I took away from the week. The parks seem to be filled with 65% Euros. Not a problem, but I had more than a few frustrating encounters with some very rude and pushy people. Had people unlatching the line que chains on two occasions so their family can cut through the line. They weren't going ahead to meet people, they just felt obligated that they could advance their place in line. I confronted one group in the Haunted Mansion line who just ignored me. I felt like strangling someone at the Happiest Place on Earth ! We had problems all week with my daughter's boyfriend's wristband. The first day we arrived the attendant at Hollywood Studios assured that we were all linked to the same Fastpass schedules. It wasn't the case. Had to answer many questions during the week from ride attendants. We also saw alot of rides go down while we were there; unscheduled outages. This was unusual. What's with the parking fees ? Last year it was $15 now both Universal Studios and Disney parks are jacked to $20. Are they in collusion to soak the consumer with overpriced parking ? Are the parks trying to push people to stay onsite ?
    All in all it was a great week to spend with the family at the parks. It was our 19th trip to the Disney parks as a family. We're already talking about next year when we will get to experience Avatar. The time of trip always depends on the kids' college break schedules.

Mouseketeer

We experienced temperatures in the low 30's during our first weekend. Seems to follow us ALL THE TIME. Temps evened out for the week starting Monday. We hit all of the Disney parks and we were able to hit just about every attraction we wanted to. Wait times ranged from 15 minutes to 45 minutes. The Fastpasses helped out on the major rides. We were able to hit Space Mountain right before our FastPass kicked in because it was down for repairs. Walked on there and came right back. We had to wait out Rockin' Roller Coaster and that was a good 75 minute wait. We passed the time away in line playing that new phone app guessing game on Disney subjects. We ate at Be Our Guest for breakfast. It's not a very hearty breakfast. Small portions but tasty. I also don't like the fact that you order and then you are on your own finding a seat. You make a reservation to order a breakfast; then you can spend 20 minutes waiting for some party to get up so you can sit. They obviously overbook. Let me make a suggestion, instead of eating breakfast at BOG, stop at Casey's for lunch and get the loaded footlong hot dog for $11. It can feed two people instead of the $20 quiche at BOG which can barely feed a child. Ate at one of our favorites at Hollywood Studios...Sci Fi Dine In theatre. Great service and definitely not drive in food...excellent. Had lunch at the Flame Tree BBQ at Animal Kingdom. Good BBQ and fixins' at a good price.
    Some generalizations I took away from the week. The parks seem to be filled with 65% Euros. Not a problem, but I had more than a few frustrating encounters with some very rude and pushy people. Had people unlatching the line que chains on two occasions so their family can cut through the line. They weren't going ahead to meet people, they just felt obligated that they could advance their place in line. I confronted one group in the Haunted Mansion line who just ignored me. I felt like strangling someone at the Happiest Place on Earth ! We had problems all week with my daughter's boyfriend's wristband. The first day we arrived the attendant at Hollywood Studios assured that we were all linked to the same Fastpass schedules. It wasn't the case. Had to answer many questions during the week from ride attendants. We also saw alot of rides go down while we were there; unscheduled outages. This was unusual. What's with the parking fees ? Last year it was $15 now both Universal Studios and Disney parks are jacked to $20. Are they in collusion to soak the consumer with overpriced parking ? Are the parks trying to push people to stay onsite ?
    All in all it was a great week to spend with the family at the parks. It was our 19th trip to the Disney parks as a family. We're already talking about next year when we will get to experience Avatar. The time of trip always depends on the kids' college break schedules.

Quote Originally Posted by macefamily View Post
    We experienced temperatures in the low 30's during our first weekend. Seems to follow us ALL THE TIME.
    That happens to us too! I always hear the phrase "unseasonably cool temperatures" when I travel anywhere warm.
    Here every day even though I may not be logged in.

Mouseketeer

I have a question for the group. During our trip last week, we noticed some changes at the parks which smelled like the politically correct police intervened and tried to "make things right."
    First, on the Rockin' Rollercoaster, during the recording studio video, the audio of Steven Tyler and the band manager were cut out and the person operating the ride said the lines ???? I asked her what's going on as we were leaving the room and she smiled and said "some edits had to be made." We've ridden Rockin' Rollercoaster probably 25 times over the years, and I don't remember anything repulsive happening during that video.
    Next, on the Pirates of the Carribean...ever since my kids were toddlers they made a comment about the "pirate with the hairy legs" on the last bridge as the ride was nearing the end. This year, we noticed that the hairy leg dangling off of the bridge was covered with a pant leg unexposed. Did someone complain about a very real looking hairy leg ? Really ?