Thread: Disability Access card......

2nd star to the right.... ARIEL's Avatar

Disability Access card......

Hi everyone,
    I posted this in the Disney Disabilities back in the beginning of the year but it had no views so apologies if this isn't the correct thread but i do need advice on it if anyone has ever used it before.

So, my daughter HJ (14)was in intensive care for about a week last year and came home diagnosed with Diabetes T1.
    She is doing fantastic now and coping so well with her numerous daily injections etc and our upcoming Florida trip in August is soooooo needed!

However, her blood sugars vary, we can go from hypo to hyper quickly or we can stay on a level playing field. Heat and stress, tiredness are amongst things that can seen her either way so we have been told that there is such a thing as this Disability Access Card which we can obtain which allows her to bypass the queues for some rides or shows such as Nemo or Splash Moutain for example (that although we could have a FP for, we could still be waiting outside for a considerable time.

has anyone ever used this facility and who could tell me a little bit more about it.
    POLLY XXXXX

OFFSITE 1997
    OFFSITE 1998
    POLYNESIAN 2000
    DIXIE LADINGS 2001
    CARIBBEAN BEACH 2002
    WILDERNESS LODGE 2002
    PORT ORLEANS RIVERSIDE 2005
    PORT ORLEANS RIVERSIDE 2007
    PORT ORLEANS RIVERSIDE 2008
    PORT ORLEANS RIVERSIDE 2009
    OKW 2011
    OKW 2013
    OKW 2015
    I DO BELIEVE IN FAIRIES....I DO I DO....I DO BELIEVE IN FAIRIES....I DO I DO

NO ONE IS TOO OLD TO HUG THE MOUSE!

Re: Disability Access card......

Here is a link with more information.

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/bl...rd-fact-sheet/

Quote Originally Posted by ARIEL View Post
    Hi everyone,
    I posted this in the Disney Disabilities back in the beginning of the year but it had no views so apologies if this isn't the correct thread but i do need advice on it if anyone has ever used it before.

So, my daughter HJ (14)was in intensive care for about a week last year and came home diagnosed with Diabetes T1.
    She is doing fantastic now and coping so well with her numerous daily injections etc and our upcoming Florida trip in August is soooooo needed!

However, her blood sugars vary, we can go from hypo to hyper quickly or we can stay on a level playing field. Heat and stress, tiredness are amongst things that can seen her either way so we have been told that there is such a thing as this Disability Access Card which we can obtain which allows her to bypass the queues for some rides or shows such as Nemo or Splash Moutain for example (that although we could have a FP for, we could still be waiting outside for a considerable time.

has anyone ever used this facility and who could tell me a little bit more about it.

I'm glad your daughter is doing well, I'm sure it was a scary time for everyone.

I do know the new disability pass doesn't really reduce your wait it just allows you to wait for an attraction in a different location. You have to explain to guest services what your daughters needs are and they will determine if she qualifies. Keep in mind a lot of attractions have inside air conditioned queues so they will help with the heat.

If your daughter qualifies you will get a return time that's 10 minutes less than the standby wait time. I believe someone has to walk to the attraction and get the return time. I think it sometimes requires more walking in the heat than just getting in the standby line and using your fastpasses smartly.
    ~*Stephanie*~

1993 Caribbean Beach Resort ~ 1996 Caribbean Beach resort ~1997 Caribbean Beach ~2003 Wilderness Lodge~2004 Beach Club/Shades of Green/Pop~ 2005 Wilderness Lodge/Beach Club ~ 2006 Saratoga Springs~2007 French Quarter/Beach Club/Boardwalk ~2007 Port Orleans Riverside~ 2008 Wilderness Lodge/Beach Club~2008 Beach Club~2009 Hilton Head Island~ 2009 Beach Club~2010 Bay Lake Tower/Beach Club~2011 Beach Club/Pop~2011 Beach Club

I need to get a life besides MouseBuzz!! bethishooked's Avatar

Totally understand the highs and lows with heat, crowds, etc. as my 22 year old Son has had type 1 since the age of 4. We've never used the disability pass, but your daughter definitely qualifies for it if it helps her to be more level with her blood sugar. That being said, with you mentioning injections, I'm assuming she's not on the pump yet? Feel free to pm me with any questions regarding that or anything else. Joey has always been all over the place with his numbers even though following "the rules" that's suppose to keep you more level. The pump at age 7 was a game changer for him. Put me much more at ease when he went off to college also.
    9/02 - AKL ~ 9/03 - CBR ~ 1/05 - AKL
    8/06 - AKL (1 night PC) ~ 6/07 - POFQ ~ 8/08 - AKL (1 night AS)
    4/09 - POFQ - Beth & Mom Trip! ~ 11/09 - OKW 3/10 - BLT & AKV (1 night PC)
    9/10 - BCV ~ 3/11 - AKV-Jambo House~ 9/11 - AKV-Jambo House
    5/12 - BCV ~ 9/12 - OKW & AKV-Jambo House
    ~ 10/12 - AKV-Jambo House
    4/13
    - AKV-Jambo House ~ 10/13 - VWL

Quote Originally Posted by gatour View Post
    Here is a link with more information.

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/bl...rd-fact-sheet/
    thank you so much! I shall have a good read up over this weekend and get myself more clued up. :)
    POLLY XXXXX

OFFSITE 1997
    OFFSITE 1998
    POLYNESIAN 2000
    DIXIE LADINGS 2001
    CARIBBEAN BEACH 2002
    WILDERNESS LODGE 2002
    OKW 2011
    OKW 2013
    OKW 2015

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyTeacher View Post
    I'm glad your daughter is doing well, I'm sure it was a scary time for everyone.

I do know the new disability pass doesn't really reduce your wait it just allows you to wait for an attraction in a different location. You have to explain to guest services what your daughters needs are and they will determine if she qualifies. Keep in mind a lot of attractions have inside air conditioned queues so they will help with the heat.

If your daughter qualifies you will get a return time that's 10 minutes less than the standby wait time. I believe someone has to walk to the attraction and get the return time. I think it sometimes requires more walking in the heat than just getting in the standby line and using your fastpasses smartly.
    oh my gosh Stephanie, I cant begin to tell you how terrifying it was. We are all beginning to adjust to our 'new normal' now though. Just as this is our first vacation where our 'new normal' comes into play.
    We are intending for this vacation to be somewhat slower paced than we normally do as a lot has been happening with us over the past year inc my mum in law (who is coming also) who has recently had a knee replacement so hoping that our fastpasses etc will see us through everything but would like to know that we have this back up if needed.

thanks for your help :) x
    POLLY XXXXX

OFFSITE 1997
    OFFSITE 1998
    POLYNESIAN 2000
    DIXIE LADINGS 2001
    CARIBBEAN BEACH 2002
    WILDERNESS LODGE 2002
    OKW 2011
    OKW 2013
    OKW 2015

Quote Originally Posted by bethishooked View Post
    Totally understand the highs and lows with heat, crowds, etc. as my 22 year old Son has had type 1 since the age of 4. We've never used the disability pass, but your daughter definitely qualifies for it if it helps her to be more level with her blood sugar. That being said, with you mentioning injections, I'm assuming she's not on the pump yet? Feel free to pm me with any questions regarding that or anything else. Joey has always been all over the place with his numbers even though following "the rules" that's suppose to keep you more level. The pump at age 7 was a game changer for him. Put me much more at ease when he went off to college also.
    oh thank you so much! It is so great to know that and for you to be there for us. Wow, so you have lived this world of sugars and highs and lows for a long time! I feel like we are still so early in the process. We have offered her the pump but she is a bit reluctant. I think its a bit more for the fact that shes just turned 14 and going through the usual things a 14 year old girl would normally do and this feels a bit much for her at the moment. However, that being said we have a meeting coming up where we can go see the pumps and what they're about etc. So i think that will be great for her to see.
    Like I said to Stephanie, I am hoping with our planning and fp booking in advance and the fact that we are planning on taking this trip much slower than usual we will not need it but its good to know what we have in the way of help if we need it.
    on a normal wait in fp we are usually good but as you will know some of the attractions like Nemo etc even with a fp, you can be waiting outside in the heat for a long time and that can make her levels go crazy. er

thanks for being there for me (us) I really appreciate it.

Polly :) x
    POLLY XXXXX

OFFSITE 1997
    OFFSITE 1998
    POLYNESIAN 2000
    DIXIE LADINGS 2001
    CARIBBEAN BEACH 2002
    WILDERNESS LODGE 2002
    OKW 2011
    OKW 2013
    OKW 2015

I don't know a lot about the pump but I have two students (13 and 14 years old) who both have one. One has had his for several years and is doing very well with his. I'm taking him out of town in a week so I'm going to get a refresher on him so I'm sure of what I need to do just in case. However, I really don't antisipate any issues, I'll just feel better. The other one just got his a month or so ago. He's still learning but I think it will be a good thing for him.

I think taking things a little slower is probably a good idea. The up side is you're at Disney, you will be well taken care of. Don't forget about first aid. They can help you with just about anything, including a place to just cool off or rest. The couple of times we've stopped in for minor issues they have been very helpful.

I hope you have a good trip and find your new pace to be something positive to come from all of this.
    ~*Stephanie*~

1993 Caribbean Beach Resort ~ 1996 Caribbean Beach resort ~1997 Caribbean Beach ~2003 Wilderness Lodge~2004 Beach Club/Shades of Green/Pop~ 2005 Wilderness Lodge/Beach Club ~ 2006 Saratoga Springs~2007 French Quarter/Beach Club/Boardwalk ~2007 Port Orleans Riverside~ 2008 Wilderness Lodge/Beach Club~2008 Beach Club~2009 Hilton Head Island~ 2009 Beach Club~2010 Bay Lake Tower/Beach Club~2011 Beach Club/Pop~2011 Beach Club

Stephanie, that is so awesome that you are offering to take a student, I'm assuming on a field trip, without requiring the parent to attend. Not once would a teacher agree to learn what they need to know for any field trips on our end. I have had to attend every single one, or they wouldn't let him go (didn't want the responsibility). Truly, you are doing something much more special than you know. It's allowing the student to not "stand out" by having Mommy there and also let them feel like they are having fun with friends rather than Mom watching over 24/7. I did put my foot down once where I couldn't go and told them that he was going. Ended up the extra school nurse went on the trip as a chaperone.

Poly, definitely let her take time to learn and see what the pump is. Joey was 4 years old and his numbers were so out of control (just the way his body was handling it) that after being on 5 shots a day and his current Endro kept telling me we have to be more strict (if you knew me, I'm a rule follower and the strictest of them all and did everything right) we ended up going to a much more cutting edge, very active in the diabetes world doctor, who on our first visit said "his body is not handling this well, so we have to get more aggressive. I'm putting him on the pump." When we told him the other doctor told us he was too young, he said hogwash, each body is different and you have to listen to each individual differently. So, here's this little guy, in the class with 5 other adults learning how to insert the pump needle, with him getting it right the first time and all the adults having to try a couple of times to get it right!

Enjoy your Disney trip. A couple of suggestions...there is a cooler out there that is compact and convenient for keeping insulin cool by Frio: http://www.frioinsulincoolingcase.com/

If you are taking a plane, have a note from the doctor that he requires for you to have juice with you. I sat there arguing with TSA because they were going to make me throw out Joeys juice boxes. I refused, telling them it's a part of his medical requirements, and those items (insulin, syringes and sugar) stay with him in a carry on. That note would have made it a lot easier.

You probably already know this, but always have a snack with you at all times in the park. Joey was a teenager and at the end of the evening at Epcot, he got low and all the kiosks with food were shut down. We did finally find some cotton candy in the merchandise store right before you leave, but he got so low so fast, that he couldn't stand to give up his seat when the bus was so full. Still have engrained in my head all the women glaring at him because a teenager was taking a seat. He felt so bad and even commented that he'll try to stand. That's why I'm always so adamant to everyone when they complain, that not everyone is rude There are reasons!

Anyways, your daughter (and you) will totally enjoy Disney. You've already won half the battle, and that's accepting that it's going to be a little different. Each trip you take, you'll learn more and more what works. So, you'll come to accept that this is just how life is. No scarlet letter on her, just a little different procedure than what others have to do, and that's okay.
    Last edited by bethishooked; 05-08-2017 at 01:17 PM.
    4/13

Quote Originally Posted by bethishooked View Post
    Stephanie, that is so awesome that you are offering to take a student, I'm assuming on a field trip, without requiring the parent to attend. Not once would a teacher agree to learn what they need to know for any field trips on our end. I have had to attend every single one, or they wouldn't let him go (didn't want the responsibility). Truly, you are doing something much more special than you know. It's allowing the student to not "stand out" by having Mommy there and also let them feel like they are having fun with friends rather than Mom watching over 24/7. I did put my foot down once where I couldn't go and told them that he was going. Ended up the extra school nurse went on the trip as a chaperone.
    I guess I didn't realize there are schools and teachers who wouldn't offer to learn what they need to know to take a child on a field trip. I can't believe the school wouldn't handle your son for a simple field trip. These kids know what they need to do, they are pros at checking their sugar and know what to do. My eighth grader will have all his supplies and I'm sure I'll carry a second of everything just in case. His mom is a phone call away as is 911. These kids deserve to live as normal as possible and I'll do what I can to help them do that. I'm not sure how we'll handle it but I'll do what I can to keep him safe and let him have fun. I'll make sure he's on my bus and in my group so I can keep an eye on him but he'll never know that was planned, just luck of the draw as far as he knows. Cell phones also help, his mom or dad are just a quick phone call away if something is really off. On the flip side I'm also just a phone call away if his mom wants to check on us to make sure he's doing ok.
    ~*Stephanie*~

Yes, it was very frustrating. We actually moved to another town because when he was in Kindergarten, no one notified me the school nurse had left and they didn't plan on replacing her that year, so when I asked who would administer the glucagon shot (instant sugar if they pass out from low blood sugar), the principal said "Well, it's not going to be me." So, moved to a town that guaranteed there would be a school nurse at each school (many schools out our way in IL share nurses between the school district).

You have the perfect attitude though. It is taught right from the get go that the diabetic has to be responsible for their care, as it's their body and their decision on how they want to feel, so they are very educated and know what they are doing. For the teacher, it's just a matter of becoming familiar with it just in case for a backup with assistance, if needed.
    4/13

Sorry I am so late in my reply...we've had a crazy couple of weeks. To the extent that Heather not only has the Diabtetes, nut she has now been told she has Coeliacs disease :( This means she also now cannot eat Gluten ( which if you kmew my daughter is a disaster as she loves her bread) I thank you both so very much for all your support. It means the world. I have a letter from her team and Doctor re her needs for the trip/flight etc and have that cool bag on order!Thank for the link :)
    I now need to ask if either of you are aware if Disney cater for Gluten free intolerance or am I on a losing battle? We dont drive when we come away, we just use magical express and the transfers so have no clue where to grocery shop etc without a car. Any tips you can give would again be appreciated.
    love to you
    polly x
    POLLY XXXXX

OFFSITE 1997
    OFFSITE 1998
    POLYNESIAN 2000
    DIXIE LADINGS 2001
    CARIBBEAN BEACH 2002
    WILDERNESS LODGE 2002
    OKW 2011
    OKW 2013
    OKW 2015

Wow, what a double whammy. Actually, maybe if it was going to happen, it may have been good being diagnosed so close to the diabetes. She's still adjusting to the counting carbs and how food affects her, so that you can now incorporate the gluten free with all the changes that she is going through. I'm thinking it's getting easier and more readily available for gluten free, as there has been a lot of education regarding it lately. A friend of mine has to be gluten free because of cancer, so whenever she is over for meals, we definitely have choices for her. Once I started paying attention to what's available, I'm finding that there are a lot of choices. She does swear by Trader Joes grocery store, so not sure if there is one in your area. As far as Disney, I haven't paid attention myself, but have read on other chat rooms many people are pleased with Disney accommodating their food allergies. I'm sure there definitely is a game plan for gluten free. But, just to be on the safe side, I would call and have it listed on your file that you require that.
    Keep your chin up. Your daughter is stronger than you ever would imagine, and many, many times she is going to totally amaze you with her showing responsibility, a great attitude and definitely take charge of these bumps in the road life has thrown at her. I am so incredibly proud of Joey and you will be the same for Heather!
    4/13

it really is a double whammy but you're completely right in that it is probably best that it all happens at once. She was so upset (as was I) but i think that's purely down to the fact that she was being so positive after being in such a dark place that this was another blow. We always thank God though that it is at least controllable and something we can adapt to. It could always be so much worse so we must count our blessings.
    I think I will contact the Team at Disney who deal with disabilities etc , they have been so helpful so far, like you say, just to inform them so they may be able to assist (as we have booked all our dining reservations already).
    Heather amazes me everyday, she is so resilient and brave...just like your Joey. These kids melt my heart.

thanks for being there
    Polly
    POLLY XXXXX

OFFSITE 1997
    OFFSITE 1998
    POLYNESIAN 2000
    DIXIE LADINGS 2001
    CARIBBEAN BEACH 2002
    WILDERNESS LODGE 2002
    OKW 2011
    OKW 2013
    OKW 2015