Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will You Be Disappointed if...

Will You Be Disappointed if...

There has been several post on the crowding of WDW this Oct 2003. Many of us are scheduled to go in Oct and the beginning of Nov. We usually go in Nov because we enjoy the light crowds and the fine weather. I'm just wondering how everyone feels about the potential of overcowding to the point that parades and fireworks are a struggle to accomplish. I myself have to be honest and say I'm a little disappointed that the crowds level reported are so large. That being said I'm glad other people are having the opportunity to visit WDW like me. Do you think disney should increase there hours like they do during Thanksgiving week and run the parades and fireworks twice or is this just the unfortunate side effect of going off season.

Not whining just curious. I will make the best of whatever situation come my way. It's disney and I know I'll have a great time I always do.

Thanks for letting me vent my ideas.

Paula
    Last edited by preidel24; 10-20-2003 at 11:40 AM.
    ^i^ * Postcard Pixie * ^i^ ~ Sharing the Disney magic ~

[Countdown=October 1, 2005 1:32:30 AM EST;Off to Walt Disney World;[RED]Countdown to my next WDW Trip![/Countdown]

Discover the Magic - and you'll be hooked for life!!!

I am not sure but I think all or most of the reports of large crowds were around Columbus Day. If so, isn't that to be expected. I thought that I read somewhere that this was a busy period.

Anyway, I am planning on taking a least one day trip to MK with the kids between now and Thanksgiving. I expect that the crowds will not be too bad. Of course this is only speculation.
    Past DVC Owner. Hope to own again someday!!

We just returned and I found the crowds large, but I don't have anything to compare to... I found lines long but managable with FP (A must use!) we did not wait in a line longer than 45 minutes and that was to see Cinderella!!! We are from OH and King's Island lines on bad days can be 2 hour long waits for the popular rides...

I know on Friday the 17th of October that they had 2 night parades where only one had been scheduled...

I did not find it that bad... crowded, yes...especially stroller land, but managable....
    Mickey Fan!

[countdown=November 27, 2007 12:00:00 AM EST;I'm at the most magical place on earth WDW, with Mickey!!;RED]Countdown to my Next Disney Vacation!!![/countdown]

Planned Nov/Dec 2007... BWV, Shareton Safari, SSR...
    2007... WLV (Rented Points!!)
    2006... ASMOV and RENTING DVC POINTS @ SSR
    2004... ASMOV -- ON SITE!!! FIRST TIME!
    2003... Silver Lake Resort (off property)
    1982... Epcot Only Trip (off property) I forgot about this trip!
    1976... Camping somewhere in Orlando (off property)

Spike just posted a thread that stated WDW has been adding extra hours and extra parade times. Maybe they got the hint. I don't think they expected the crowds either. However, when they were almost booked solid, that would have been an indication to up everything I would think. To all of those traveling in the near future, I hope you are lucky with the crowds and if not I hope you get the extra hours and extra parade times so you can enjoy everything WDW has to offer.:D
    ~ 82 off-site ~ 91 off-site ~ 97 Music ~ 00 Movies ~
    ~ 02 WL ~ 04 AKL ~ 05 AKL & Poly ~ 06 OKW ~
    ~ 07 POFQ ~ 08 OKW ~ 09 SSR ~ 10 CSR ~
    ~ 10 POFQ ~ 11 POP ~ 12 Dolphin ~ 12 Art Of Animation ~
    13 SSR ~ 13 AKL- Club~ 13 Contemporary ~13 Pop Century
    14 Coronado Springs ~14 Disney Magic and POFQ ~ 14 YC/Movies/CSR

Originally posted by gcbdad
    I am not sure but I think all or most of the reports of large crowds were around Columbus Day. If so, isn't that to be expected. I thought that I read somewhere that this was a busy period.
    We recently got back and it was very crowded. But we were there Columbus Day weekend. There has been a lot of trip reports posted lately too -- that seems to indicate that more people have been going. Although it was crowded, we found most everything to be very manageable. For us, the key was to arrive before the parks opened. We were amazed at how much we got done before 10:30.

BTW, even if it is crowded, you can still enjoy the fabulous weather. Crowds are much more tolerable when you are not super hot and sticky!
    GO HOKIES!!

I'm feeling disappointed by the reports of huge crowds, I'll admit. Crowds are one thing--that's natural for WDW. But big crowds and long, long waits, especially in the off-season, is just not cool. It makes it feel more like the state fair rather than a huge, magical world. :cry:
    Proud former 2-time Disneyland CM

2000 ~ off-site 2002 ~ Polynesian 2003 ~ All-Star Movies 2008 ~ All-Star Music

I am going the week of Thanksgiving. We have been aware that the crowds can be huge at that time, so there won't be any disappointment if they are, only joy if they aren't. The good part is that the last time I was at WDW there was no FP. I remember huge, long lines (an hour or more) and not being able to do everything that we wanted. We have made lists of "must do" rides and attractions. We have scheduled one day at each park and 2 at MK. We'd like to see and do everything, but are prepared for just doing what we can. The good part about Thankgiving week is that the posted hours are more like summer but the weather is great.
    Lynnette

[countdown=November 22, 2003 12:00:00 PM EST;Gone to see the Mouse;RED]Countdown to my WDW Trip![/countdown]

MsLynn,

It looks like you will be arriving the Saturday before I get there.

I usually arrive the Friday after Thanksgiving. The weekend is normally tolerable.

I have some friends that went the same time you are going and they said there was noone in the parks until Wednesday.

So...perhaps the first half of your trip will be magical!

:p
    Linda
    2004 May-BCV-Flwr Fest/Nov-BCV
    2003 Hilton Head DVC-June/BCV-Nov
    2002 POR/Polynesian
    2001 POR
    2000 Beach Club/Cape Royal
    1999 Dixie Landings (POR)
    1995 Dolphin
    1993 Disneyland Hotel
    84-92 Various off site hotels
    1983 Disneyland Hotel
    1972 First Visit to WDW
    [countdown=November 28, 2003, 7:50:00 AM CST;Off to Beach Club Villas DVC;BLUE]Countdown to my next DVC Trip to BCV![/countdown]

[countdown=May 16, 2004, 7:50:00 AM CST;Off to Beach Club Villas DVC and the Flower Festival;PURPLE]Countdown to my next DVC Trip to BCV![/countdown]

Good news! My friend returned yesterday and she said Disney was not very crowded at all. They went to the MNSSHP and she said they just walked on to the rides with no wait. They did Buzz and SM over and over again.

dznygrl--although it was crowded on our trip, there was plenty of magic!!:) :) :)
    Last edited by disneydana; 10-21-2003 at 07:21 PM.
    GO HOKIES!!

Our trip was the first week of Oct. and it was more crowded than I had expected. If you read my trip reports I found it strange that although the parks were hard to get around the rides were not unmanageable if you used FP wisely. The only exception to that was ToT because only one side was open. AK and MK were especially hard to get around because of the crowds. We had to bypass Pooh and PP flight because of 90 min. waits and no more FP.
    Laughter is timeless,Imagination has no age, and dreams are forever!
    [Countdown=Nov. 18, 2009 6:30:30 PM EST;Off to Walt Disney World;RED]Countdown to my next WDW Trip![/Countdown]

SUPER SOAP WEEKEND!!!!! DW Trip 30
    ....CSR ROCKS!!
    French Quarter
    All Star Sports
    All Star Music
    Pop Century
    ^i^ * Postcard Pixie * ^i^ ~ Sharing the Disney magic ~

Linda, I'm so glad to hear that!

We already have planned to visit the parks on Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday.

We are visiting "other attractions" on other days. I want to go on a postcard safari (that I read about somewhere), collecting signed postcards from each resort and looking at the Christmas decorations, on Friday, because I have heard this is the most crowded day of that week at the parks. It will give me a chance to avoid the crowds, but the children will still be doing something Disney oriented.
    Lynnette

[countdown=November 22, 2003 12:00:00 PM EST;Gone to see the Mouse;RED]Countdown to my WDW Trip![/countdown]

Senior Mouseketeer
    We just got back from WDW and the crowds were bad and at times almost impossible with strollers.

If you don't mind paying a few extra dollars and have a party that is willing to get up early, go to "www.tourguidemike.com". I wish that we could have followed his advice, but my two DD's are late risers and we would have had just as bad a day waking them early as we did standing in lines.

Originally posted by MsLynn
    Linda, I'm so glad to hear that!

We already have planned to visit the parks on Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday.

We are visiting "other attractions" on other days. I want to go on a postcard safari (that I read about somewhere), collecting signed postcards from each resort and looking at the Christmas decorations, on Friday, because I have heard this is the most crowded day of that week at the parks. It will give me a chance to avoid the crowds, but the children will still be doing something Disney oriented.
    what a cool idea. I wish I could go during the holiday season. I have always wanted to see WDW decorated. I have to settle for seeing the pictures. My company black-balls vacation and personal time from 10/31 until the last week of January. It gets later every year. It use to be 2 week of January. Please take many pictures and post them. Seeing them would make my day.:love:
    ~ 82 off-site ~ 91 off-site ~ 97 Music ~ 00 Movies ~
    ~ 02 WL ~ 04 AKL ~ 05 AKL & Poly ~ 06 OKW ~
    ~ 07 POFQ ~ 08 OKW ~ 09 SSR ~ 10 CSR ~
    ~ 10 POFQ ~ 11 POP ~ 12 Dolphin ~ 12 Art Of Animation ~
    13 SSR ~ 13 AKL- Club~ 13 Contemporary ~13 Pop Century
    14 Coronado Springs ~14 Disney Magic and POFQ ~ 14 YC/Movies/CSR

Originally posted by tammysbowman
    If you don't mind paying a few extra dollars and have a party that is willing to get up early, go to "www.tourguidemike.com". I wish that we could have followed his advice, but my two DD's are late risers and we would have had just as bad a day waking them early as we did standing in lines.
    We used tourguidemike and his plan worked very well. We are early risers and it still took a little effort to be at the parks before they opened. He gives a good itinerary too (especially for MK). We really accomplished a lot in spite of the crowds.
    GO HOKIES!!

Dana,
    That is the plan. The children getting postcards while Mom scopes out the resorts for our next stay and takes heaps of pictures. Leaving Dad, Gramma And Papa and 1 yo DD back at the condo to rest and recover like the party-poopers they are. I promise I'll post them ASAP.

I spent several years in catering management with Marriott and know what you mean about the "black-out dates". It was all holidays and the month of June for us. I never got a real vacation, more then a long weekend, in the three years I worked for them. In fact, I quit when they denied my request for a honeymoon that wasn't near any very busy time.
    Lynnette